Greating the Perfect About Us Page

Blinky

Owner
Hello to all. Here will give you something like a guide off hot to create great About Up page, that every site should have. Personally, I am kind of desapointed when I see well-looking and informative site without such a page. I just want to know who run it and what kind of company/person is. Well, do not do this mistake to skip having About us page. But let's go to the point. The information here is based on my experience and what I have red on the Web. Hope you like it. :|

Before I start, I want you to do something for me - log to your Google Analytics account and choose some of the site listed there. Then go to Content, now click on Site Content and choose All Pages. You will see a list of most popular (visited) pages there. If you have About Us page on your site, it will probably in the list.

0ns8.png

In case you do not have an About us, let me tell you that some of the biggest marketing (an other industries as well) gurus have highest conversion on it. You will ask why? Well, there a lot of reasons, which we will discuss here, but placing a sign up (request) form there will see what I mean. I suppose you have been seeing a lot of sites, that have no idea how to convert their traffic. Having boring About us is one of the them, if the traffic lands on it. Do not forget - the About us page is not just another page "you must have", it is a necessary tool to convert visitors into buyers. Most businesses do not see it that way, so they often fail. Do not thing of doing their mistake.

Also I am still seeing bloggers, that think that in not important to update their About us (biographic) page. That is a critical moment. What their readers will think? he is not moving? Or the blogger is too busy to share more about himself. Whatever they think, don't put them in this situation. The better issue with the About us page is "should I buy or just scribe for its newsletter?" Sounds better, doesn't it?

There is a rule #1when we talking about sales - Before you sell your product, you need to sell yourself first.

You should know that when somebody click on your About us link (button), he expects to learn more about you, what you do and your business. Believe me, people are curious. They do not read only. They invite you in their lives for some reason. You do not want to mess up here, right? In other words, now is the moment to sell yourself. I have seen many About us pages made as an interview - answering the usual questions like - Who am I, What I do, How Can I Help You and etc. You write more, based on your experience and business you run. Now, you are well sold.

Now you are the star here. Make your interview good, like is taken by a big media. It is easy, you will see. In case your do not have an idea, hot to do it, let me share what I have red (from Cialdini). Hope to give it the way it was.

1. You need COOL headline (first step in).

I won't lie you here. Your "About us" headline should be really grabbing, exciting, stylish and impressive at the same time. I have seen a lot of bad About us pages, where the start is boring and could make people click on the "X" after reading the first line. Also, there are such pages, where the first sentences will sell you at the moment. We are not talking here about keyword stuffed headline, but a something that will say a big HELLO in an attractive and interesting way. This will encourage the visitors to read more about your life (go further on your page).

One interesting headline sticked in my mind - "Who is this guy? Is he a myth or a great designer that people talk about?

Well, that is a grabbing headline. Could be done better, but it works for its owner. I am pretty sure, that he will come with something new soon.

2. Introduce yourself - they need to know how they are reading about.

You must have photo on your About us page. People need to know more about the person (experience, how does it looks like, what he do....) and not to mention that a well-looking picture of you could bring only positive results. Also, how your visitors suppose to recommend you to their friends, if they don't even see you.

You should know that most of your readers are busy - so keep it simple and right to the point when you introduce yourself. No one will be so exited to read 2-3 pages of your bio. You know what works best: Hello, my name is ...., I am the marketing director of...., And so on. While writing your introducing, you must be keep ti short (about yourself, your site, your business and how they can benefit from you) and right to the point (do not make it long, if you already say it in some of the sentences above).

The information must be well-structured in detailed paragraphs (sections). Do not make the mistake to merger all the text. Make it easy for your readers - switch from one subject to another smoothly. For example:

Who I am? Let me tell you more about me....
------------------------------------------------------------
John Hill is my name and like my name tells it...........
......................................................................................
......................................................................................

What I do? Let my knowledge and experience help you....
--------------------------------------------------------------
More than 10 years in ....industry and more than 100 projects behind..

....and etc. You can make different sub-sections like about - hobbies, interests, works....Remember, with little jokes and humor you can be more likable. Another thing - make sure you invite your visitors to like your facebook fan page, follow you in twitter, google+ and etc. If the visitors want to contact, that way they will have you near by. ;) So, do not forget to inject some joke and humor. Do not recommend it, if you follow corporate style.

Believe me, nobody will expect you o be the next Chris Rock on your About us page, but make it adding some personality (interesting and funny in limits) will earn some sympathies. Try it.

3. Testimonials - share what people say about you and your business.

Well known fact it, that people buy, where other people do it. It is true and that's why you need to promote yourself thanks to the others. Or in other words: Let's people sell you. Here you can add some well-written happy stories, testimonials, quotes, and other anecdotes from friends, family, and famous people, who you have worked or still working with. You can take the time to ask them about your work, make a screenshots from your Facebook fan page or Twitter profile and place it on your page.

Will be great to publish real stories from real people. The fake ones bring negative impression. You should know that. It is a good idea to add also brands, well-known brands.

4. Tell more about yourself.

On your About us page you should tell something more about your or your company, as the page wear such name. When you've introduced yourself, next you can tell more like interesting dates, interests, your personality. For example:

In 2009.....

...After that n 2010...

You can even make it as a timeline...

As it is on the moz.com/about - Look how the story is presented. People would love to know more and more. Why? Because they are about to read materials provided by you, buy some of the products / services you have on your site and etc. As I've already written - sell yourself before sell them your stuff. It is a good strategy and always helps.

5. It is time to close the deal here

As a business oriented person you are familiar with the fact, that every site and blog has its purpose - sharing information with the world, selling your own stuff, promoting others and etc. Whatever you do you should close the deal in the end or to make them take an action.

Good strategy here is your readers to make a commitment. You've already given the reason why, now it is time to do make them your potential or real clients. You should ask them to do something small like sign up for your newsletter or go deeper in your site / blog. In both cases you are more likely to get more positive results instead of ending the page with nothing. Make it not so obvious - you give them more, not sell them. Keep this in your mind when doing it.

Do not use shabby phrases like: "Do not forget to...", "If you like what I wrote, please sign up...", "Sign up today and start...".

Some of the About us pages end with the social channels - "You can follow us at any time..."

A good structure of an About us page is:

• Well-written introduction
  • Sing up form
  • Social proof / testimonials
  • Sing up form again
  • Your personal Story
  • Sing up form again

Once again - Keep the information short, concise, relevant, informative and right to the point. Also, be unique and interesting to your visitors.

Hope you like it and leave your thoughts. :)

Последно редактирано:

Горе