How To Choose The Best Web Hosting For My Site

Blinky

Owner
Whether you are a webmaster since years or you are a beginner in earning your money online, there is no doubt that you will need to use hosting a lot. This may be the choice you should consider every few months. Some services die, some services change. In this article we are going to describe a few factors you should consider when choosing a great hosting service. If you follow them , you will have no reason to change the home of your website, because of bad feelings.

1. “PRICE”. Well don’t hide it; the price is the aspect you are looking at the first glance. And it is for a reason. There are hosting companies that will charge you almost nothing for their packages, while other “players” will try to get you giving really a lot of cash out of your pocket. The truth is that none of them is the best. Aim to find a company in the middle class. Cheap companies put a lot of clients on the same server and the performance of your website will suffer one day. This is known as over selling. The highest prices don’t mean the best service. They mean just that the owners sell you something that doesn’t cost that much money.

2. “SUPPORT”. If you are a beginner in web mastering, this is the most important factor. Do they provide a phone number you can call in when there are problems with your website? Try to find the work hours of the phone support. There are companies that are offering toll free and 24/7 support. May be, you will need to make a test call. Try to see if the support persons are helpful and communicative. Do they look competent? Look also for other channels of support. Real-time chat and e-mail support are the best when you will discuss highly technological issues.

3. “SCALABILITY”. This is a thing you CANNOT skip when you choose the best hosting for your needs. Especially if you don’t want to jump from a hosting company to another company, every few months. Yes, your site now needs almost no resources; you will be okay with the smallest packages. But think about your future. Your site will need more disk space, more traffic, and more hardware power and so on. Does the companyhave a lot of hosting packages? If yes, you can always go to a bigger one. Some companies offer VPS and Dedicated servers. This will come handy too. VPS servers are the next step. The whole server is divided to a smaller amount of VPS packages. In every package you have guaranteed quantity of RAM, and a portion of the CPU. When you get a dedicated server, you will have control of the whole machine.

4. Customer Opinions, Satisfactory Reviews and Good Reputation. This is the most liberal factor out there, because you have to invest some of your time and creativity in succeeding. Make a search in Google or in the webmaster forums. Look for positive reviews made by customers that use the service now or that are former users of it. Are they satisfied with the uptime of the servers and are they okay with the support of the company. Talk to them and ask for the times needed for the support to respond a support ticket. Did they have any problems with their hosting plan? And so on and so on…try get as much information as possible.

От: How To Choose The Best Web Hosting For My Site

When you are choosing a web hosting company pay attention to its tech support and ticket response time. Personally for me this is one very important factor. If you are looking for long term relationship with the hosting company check if you will be able to migrate to dedicated package when your website is grown enough (VPS or dedicated server). Also, check any recent customer reviews about all services, in most cases you will find really good information there :)

I think that comments spread in different webmaster or hosting forums are really important as well. There is nothing more valuable than a client's opinion, because of the experience he have with the hosting. That's why biggest hosting companies look closely at the communities, where their names are mentioned. And there is a reason for that. Having bad comments could harm your business, no matter that you are investing huge budgets every day in advertising your services.

Also the support reaction is important if its fast (not more than 24 hours) and quality. It doesn't make any sense to have fast answer if it doesn't solve your problems. Of course, the answer could be "We are working on it..." and within a few minutes the problem is gone. So, I think that when we talk about hosting support here, the fastest one does not mean the best one. :) When I am looking for a hosting, I want real professionals behind the ticketing system, not fast responding first level. :)

От: Re: How To Choose The Best Web Hosting For My Site

When I am looking for a hosting, I want real professionals behind the ticketing system, not fast responding first level. :)

Totally agree, what I meant was when you submit a support ticket you should receive a professional first reply, like "We have solved the issue, it was caused by this and this", or simply to notify you if they will need more time to resolve it. Also, they might ask for additional information. But 100% you should have tech professionals who knows how their servers are operating and what exactly can be the cause of the issue, so they can resolve it.

Furthermore, note that the most famous names in the industry doesn't always mean that you will receive quality hosting service. In most cases the big companies receive thousands of tickets daily and their 1st level support (or junior techs) replies with standard predefined answers or directly with ticket escalation to higher support level. This can be very annoying and the resolve time for the issue is increased. Additionally, have in mind that most of the companies are overselling the resources, which is bad for your account, especially if you are hosted on a server with 1000 other users.

This answer is the best one, no doubts. ;) Reaching the client in the first minutes or hours is always telling them that their have chosen the right hosting, and if the solution comes within few hours from the first ticket, they feel mush better.

I agree that none of the companies will tell you "Buy our services, and do not worry that we're gonna oversell some space left on the server." :) But you can noticed it once your sites start loading slowly. Never experienced it, but I think is a something that happens frequently. Or am I mistaking here? :)

Well, indeed no one will tell you "We're overselling, but don't worry about that". I think such things are happening frequently in all major web hosting companies which are offering shared and VPS hosting, this has been discussed multiple times here ;) However, if they invest in good hardware and some software tweaks they can limit the resources per user and you will not feel any negative effect from that.

Re: От: How To Choose The Best Web Hosting For My Site

Also keep in mind where most of your traffic is coming or will come from, and choose a datacenter accordingly.
Welcome to our forum and hope to have a great time here with us.

Yeap, you are right. I think that Google has already solved this with the IPs. Now what you put in the Google Webmaster Tools as a target location, it will be taken as a priority. If you can share something form your experience, would be great. For example, why people choosing a specific hosting company, and it this with the datacenter location some of the top 5 features they look for.

First on the question above - if you target audience worldwide you need a cloud hosting, which can be a bit expensive. Or at least a hosting that has Cloudflare build in. CloudFlare is a free global CDN and DNS provider that can speed up and protect any site online.

Now on the shared hosting topic. I run an affiliate review site for uk based hostings, so I can speak from my experience with dealing with many hosting companies. All the guys above had a very good point, but just to sum it up on the important details - proven uptime (they all claim 99% or more). Where is the datacenter and if they have their own datacenter or they colocate? (You need datacenter as close as your main target - for UK visitors - UK datacener). Where is the support? You need them to have inhouse support team that have engineers, not salse people located in Pakistan that speak bad english. You can easily verify that with a presale chat. Security - Do they provide account insolation? How about the database server? Do they provide daily backups and for how long they keep them?

Now a few words for hosting companies (I have those as affilate partners so i know the backend) - Hostpapa - they are not good, If you have 10 sales a month, 6 got canceled. This means the customers are really unhappy with the service. GoDaddy - They are big. Support is good overall. They have quite some downtime tho, i have had prolems with them for a few sites. Also dont buy their additioal services and be careful with domains other than com, since they tend to cheat and sell them 5x the price other registers do. Hostgator - good overall, if you are in the states. Not good for europe. Also the billing can be pain in the ass. Siteground - Bulgarian company, would highly reccomed that copmany. Never had an issue and on the live chat if you are not happy with the support, they got a contact supperior button. Plus from 20 sales I got only 1-2 cancelations a month, which means the customers are happy with the service as well.

If you are hosting stuff in Bulgaria, I recommend Superhosting (im not affiliated with them). Been using them for more than 5 years and they have excellent suport and I havent noticed any downtimes.

K, hope it helped. :)

The above is just an info that someone should use when purchasing a hosting to be able to make the most educated decision.

As for conversions, that is another topic. Conversions are mostly about trust. What will convert best is if the hosting have a landing page dedicated to the target country. Lets say the UK since my experience is from there. So on that page, the simple the better, they need a clear view of the hosting plans with a price (above the fold is better), they need the price in the currency of the country, in this case GBP. They need to have a support number on a visible place that is from the same country (eg for UK hostin to be in UK, not in US or Canada). Live sales chat that pops up increases conversions too. Those are the major factors.

Then secondary factors are of course price, space, datacenter location, backups, support in setting up and transfering site and so on. At least from my experience :) If anybody has different thought, I ll be glad to read them.

Most of the points considered for choosing web hosting site are discussed here. But, before choosing any web host provider, it is better to understand server quality, and up-time provided.

Горе