Discussion: Dedicated Server or Home PC?

The truth about the guaranteed speed is that there are not 100% guaranteed speeds. This is impossible by looking from the economic and the technical point of view. You have to just try the ISP, ask your friends about it and after that you decide whether you will use it or not. I am paying a good and guaranteed plan from my ISP since a year and I’m satisfied with it.

If you really want to find a service like that, you will. If you need an inverted symmetry just ask the regional provider of the region. They need mostly the download capacity for their clients and they can offer you good prices for the part that is not so used.

Последно редактирано от модератор:
Home Server Or VPS?

A home server can be good if you have a UPS. I had no problems with my DIY server. I host over 10 sites. And my expenses are not so big. I pay 20-30 bucks for an internet and a few more bucks for the electricity bill. :)

After reading your posts I can make an equation and I can share my experience with this. We can surely tell that you need a good electricity network that doesn’t have outages and a fast internet connection. The hardware of the server is important too. But why you need all that issues when we can get a hosting for a good price? Because if we have 5-10 sites which are well developed and which are earning us good money, we can rely on our server, with our resources that is relying on our actions. But if we are not that big, and we are making a couple hundred bucks, there is no need to make an own server.

In my case I use a server with 2 UPSs and an aggregate and a good guaranteed internet connection. My uptime is 190 days and the expenses are dollars for the electricity and the internet. But still you have to spend a lot more money on a good server system which will suit your bigger projects with ease.

How I Set Up a Home File Server For Free

Offtopic: I’ve been wondering how all the Bulgarian providers of hosting can offer a 99.9% uptime with good electricity and a good connection. I can’t think of a way to do this here.

The hosting companies are doing it with big investments, good infrastructure and of course and good capacity of the electricity and internet networks. If your sites are good enough to not overload the servers of the hosting company, you are okay with them and you don’t need a home server. For a lot sites you can use a hosting provider that is offering a lot of add-on domains for your account.

Offtopic: I’ve been wondering how all the Bulgarian providers of hosting can offer a 99.9% uptime with good electricity and a good connection. I can’t think of a way to do this here.

How can I turn my tower PC into a dedicated server?

Can you give me more information for BGP, PI

I’ve never said that I will do something like it and on the side you are not giving me my money to say I don’t have enough resources.
:wink:

If you are okay to pay I can make you the PI addresses and to configure the BGP. :)

I can sell you access control, UPSs, fire signal systems and so on. Just say it. What other I can tell about them. You have your own personal IP addresses and reserved capacity for your internet connection. You announce them through the ISPs, you will balance the traffic in a way, but you can’t be 100% exact. There is no technology in Internet which can do it. If you have enough resources to create a good data center for a decent hosting service you are in front of any people. :)

I’m saying this because I had the opportunity to design and implement a project like this and I have a real base to tell you how much it costs. :)

If you are okay to pay I can make you the PI addresses and to configure the BGP. :)

I can sell you access control, UPSs, fire signal systems and so on. Just say it. What other I can tell about them. You have your own personal IP addresses and reserved capacity for your internet connection. You announce them through the ISPs, you will balance the traffic in a way, but you can’t be 100% exact. There is no technology in Internet which can do it. If you have enough resources to create a good data center for a decent hosting service you are in front of any people. :)

I’m saying this because I had the opportunity to design and implement a project like this and I have a real base to tell you how much it costs. :)
P.S. If everything goes okay I will have a hosting in the next year. I will have a few servers, virtualization and everything I need + two providers, BGP and PI addresses. :)

Just set up a dedicated server on an extra PC

Discussion: Dedicated Server or Home PC?

I really want to create a hosting too, but I know almost nothing for the hosting, domains and so on. I am learningnow. Can you tell me how much money and servers I need to begin, because I see that you know how things are going now.

How to host your site: shared vs dedicated vs virtual

I really want to create a hosting too, but I know almost nothing for the hosting, domains and so on. I am learningnow. Can you tell me how much money and servers I need to begin, because I see that you know how things are going now.
For a cheap server you can pay 300-400 bucks while for the better ones you can spend 1000-1200 dollars. After that you will have to pay three or four digit bill for guaranteed interned and you have to multiply it by two, because you need two providers. (But still not every hosting company uses more than one internet provider).

Home Server Or VPS?

Okay, about the servers and the internet and the electricity, I know. I don’t know what OSs and software to install after getting the servers to offer domains and hosting. How much servers I will need to begin?

Router vs. dedicated server PC

Okay, about the servers and the internet and the electricity, I know. I don’t know what OSs and software to install after getting the servers to offer domains and hosting. How much servers I will need to begin?

The answer of these questions is interesting for a lot of people in the smaller countries. Every one there has some PC parts and old computers and you just can’t think of what to do with them. If you want to create a dedicated server you will need:

1. Knowledge on how to assemble and set up the server
2. Good internet connectivity – choose wisely, because you can’t afford downtime of the server. The guaranteed plans with higher speeds can be expensive
3. Electricity – every computer uses at least 250W in an hour, this is 1KW for 4 hours. You will need 180KW for a month to support one server.
4. 24/7 support – you will have to deal with everything alone – security, electricity outages, back up of the information. The bigger companies hire staff to do this 24/7/365.

The expenses you will spend every month are enough to get a better server than your pc from a hosting provider. They can offer better deals because of the bigger ratio they work in. They will make the backups for you and they will offer you a great support when you have problems.

I use a home server too, but only for testing purposes

I agree with most of your words, but the electricity you said we need is higher than in reality. Computers don’t need that much electricity or at least not 24/7. When you don’t have a monitor attached the electricity consumed falls to a few bucks for the month. :)

Dedicated Server Setup and Usage Guide

We are talking for a server, not for a home computer. The server is highly loaded at most of the time. Of course we can’t load it to 100%, but even if we pay less for electricity, the other expenses are still not small enough to do it without a real reason. The solution for this problem is data centers which can support your own computers for a few hundred bucks a month fixed price. :)

You are right. There are many data centers in the bigger cities and you will find ones in the smaller too, which are dedicated for disaster recovering needs. You have electricity, air conditioners, internet, security and everything needed so you can sleep calm and not be worried about the servers. It is a perfect solution for every web entrepreneur.

There is another positive of using your own server. You can put a web firewall to defend yourself from a lot of hacking attempts. The only problem of having your own server is the knowledge needed to run it.
:)

Dedicated Servers or PC Server

I think the best solution is to use a managed VPS. You have full control of what is happening and there always is a support team that will help you with your problems. It is more affordable than having own servers in some cases. If I have to choose between VPS and home hosting, I will definitely use the first one. The home network has some positives too, but they are not enough to make me change my mind.

One of the biggest positives of having a home server is the easier way to create a backup of your site. :)

Горе