Why WordPress and What Makes It The Best Content Management System?

Blinky

Owner
WordPress is well-known CMS used by millions of small businesses and large corporations. There are a lot of myths about this wonderful free platform, but it is a best one for high traffic web sites, media sites, large corporation and online stores and etc. When I say WordPress is one of the best content management systems, I mean it, and I will give you information why I think that way.

eqka.png

But Why WordPress is One of the Best CMSs?

We will understand this by following the given point below:

• Good examples of big sites and brand using WordPress as a platform;
  • Myths telling us that in some cases WordPress is not well-secured and could not be used for company web sites;
  • Myths assuring us that WordPress is not good for high-traffic web sites;
  • Myths - WordPress is not the right solution for users with big sites / shops;
  • Myths - Create a uniques web site with WordPress is a hard work;
  • WordPress will help you in the SEO proces, thanks to the HTML5 responsive design;
  • Is WordPress the right solution for my business or personal needs?

All of these will be answered here. So, let's do it:

1. Good examples of big sites and brand using WordPress as a platform.

I will put it that way - Matt Cutts from Google, a guru in the web optimization industry, uses it for his blog. So, when a guy from Google use WordPress (WP), you can be sure that the platform is worth. He also mentioned that about 4% of the WP sites are mobile friendly. This is good, because Google now can crawl mobile sites in addition to desktop or laptop sites, giving them a little bit more in the SERP. Matt also gave a good example with a big news site, you might know it, Search Engine Land, created by Danny Sullivan and operating on WordPress as well. Let see more well-know brands using WP:

Mashable

zskp.png

Let's stat with my favorite IT news web sites. Mashable is one of the biggest IT news web sites sold to CNN for the amount of $200 million. Before the deal CNN uses Mashable news for their IT section. Mashable was founded by Pete Cashmore from his home in Aberdeen, Scotland in July 2005. Now the site is one of the biggest IT news portals working on a WordPress platform.

The site is with great ranking in Google and other search engines, which makes is well-structured and optimizated. IT has a lot of categories and information. Now it has a little bit more social design from the previous look. Mashable is focused in social media news, but it also covers news and developments in mobile, entertainment, online video, business, web development, technology, memes and gadgets. It receives approximately 50 million pageviews per month. A great example of a WordPress news site.

Search Engine Land

lc0z.png

Search Engine Land is well-indexed by Google with more than 20 000 pages and millions of visitors every single month. The site is custom built, using the WordPress platform, having also custom plugins, widgets and more functionality, all made by the developers of the site. As the name says, the site is informational portal sharing news in the SEO, SEM, social, mobile, marketing, Internet business world. One of the best resources out there.

Its WordPress is well-organized and you can easily use the site on laptop, desktop, tablet and other mobile devices. So, the site can be opened and viewed from anywhere you want.

TechCrunch

eszn.png

TechCrunch, technology news website, uses WordPress as a CMS many years and as you can see, the site is one of the leaders in its niche. The team and the owners are really satisfied with its performance. Founded in June 2005, TechCrunch and its network of websites now reach over 12 million unique visitors and draw more than 37 million page views per month. Cool, isn't it?

GE Reports

x3u4.png

History shows is that GE (General Electric) is one of the greatest companies of all time. For some reason, GE using WordPress. If this is a fact, that you can be double sure that this system won't let you down. GE Reports is a well-built WP primary press and news release website. The platforms also used in it are: jQuery, Google FeedProx, SWFObject, Feedburner, Typekit and jQuery Validate. But the main is WordPress and you can keep this in your mind.

American Express Open Forum

8b9y.png

A big brand and well-known site, American Express is one of the biggest sites in USA (maybe the biggest), providing its visitors with financial, technology, travel, marketing and business information. Its community runs thanks the WordPress platform. The forum is one of the main elements of the site, where people sharing tips and advices.

Now, you can see that WordPress is one of the best solution, according to big brands and sites, using it. It is simple and easy to be managed and you can do whatever you want in order to customize it the way you need.

2. Myths telling us that in some cases WordPress is not well-secured and could not be used for company web sites.

Nobody will guarantee you 100% security, no matter what you do online. Why? The reasons are many, but the one thing is for sure - updating and observing the trends, you can prevent attacks, hacks, spamming, and more. Your personal experience has shown that no one is 100% protected, not even large companies.

Here is a short list of companies being victims of a threats:

• Sony PlayStation (in 2011);
  • CitiGroup (in 2011)
  • Lockheed Martin (in 2011)
  • Google (even Google, in 2009, 2011, 2012)
  • Zappos.com (2012)

The list has more, but I gave you only few of them.

WordPress is not safe and secured is a big myth. First of all, the sites in the list are not WordPress-based. Secondly, every company and business should think of having a technical team caring about future hacks and invasions, that could "hurt" the site and all information. Remember, that WordPress is could be hacked and attacked by hackers (just to inject malware, bad links, codes and more), only if you are not up-to-date with the latest updates of WP. So, pay attention of when a new update is announced.

Mainly the hacks come from plugins and un-updates platform. You need to watch them a little bit more, especially when you add unknown or not-supported (for years) plugin. Also, make sure you get it from the official WordPress site. If you are a new to this, you can ask in some communities. I believe that helping you with you WP site is just a few questions away. According to Joost de Valk, the creator of Yoast SEO plugin (one of the best SEO plugins), all hacking threats are because of the plugins, not in WordPress itself. The plugins run with administrator rights on your site. You should know this. The best part here, is that WordPress reviews all plugins listed in its site. But you should get plugins from developers you trust. As I mentioned, do not add plugins that are suspicious and not-supproted with the years. Ask yourself this question to be sure about the plugin:

• When was the last time updated? If it's soon, that great. Also see the plugin rating and author;
  • What is the plugin rating? If the plugin has a bad rating, I do not recommend to ad it on your site;
  • Loot at the plugin’s changelog. Whet does indicate? Read comment and than add the latest version.

I would also recommend to change your admin password regularly. Why? Just in case. Another thing - change the "admin" username, most people leave it that way, which is another mistake.

I personally love WordPress, because it gives you the ability to add components that already exist and you can see them(read about them - what they do, how to install it and etc.) and are highly rated on WordPress.com. Premium designs will give you the chance to choose from a serious number of nice-looking templates, if do not want to invest in designing, coding and programming.

3. Myths assuring us that WordPress is not good for high-traffic web sites.

Well, before I start this topic, let me take you back to the first one , where I gave you a few well-selected examples of big sites getting millions of visits every single month. But to tell you the true, you should also rely on your hosting plan as well. That's why if you host your site on a private server or well-budgeted VPS, you should not have any issues. Could not say the same about the share hosting plans, especially when your site gets a lot of traffic. Let me put it that way - a million dollar company could not hold their web resource on a $5-7 per month hosting. And you know that. If you want (and I peronally will recommend this here) eliminate problems like low speed, limited bandwidth and storage, unsecured hosting, you should go on a dedicated server or VPS.

December 2012, WordPress.com VIP launched WordPress.com Enterprise (mush more affordable version of the WordPress.com VIP), which a great solution for larger enterprise companies. Techcrunch host their site there, which is a sign that the service is reliable and meets all of the site's criterias (which are not one or two, as you know). There is no problem using WordPress, no matter now much traffic your site gets.

4. Myths - WordPress is not the right solution for users with big sites / shops.

That is a not true at all. According the image below, WordPress is the most popular CMS nowadays. The stats are made with Google Trends, and compare 3 of the most used systems - WordPress, Joomla and Drupal. You can see that WordPress gets more searches than other CMS systems, respectively has more downloads than the others.

ub2h.png

All of the given CMSs are open-source. Let's talk in digits:

• [*] Over 371 million users
    [*] Over 4.1 billion pages each month

WordPress is used by large and small businesses, and it is a matter of time to become on of the most popular shopping systems stepping on the shopping carts market. It is s stable platform for, meeting your needs in every aspect.

5. Myths - Create a uniques web site with WordPress is a hard work.

Wrong. Well, it is a work, but hard work, I could not say that. If you want your site to look professionally, you are not suppose to leave it with the default theme. It is the same when you get in your local store in your neighborhood and in the Mall's store. The look is important and you should remember what.

Do not forget that sometimes the theme could be not so well coded. And when WordPress launches new updates, you need to do back ups, just in case.

The default themes in WordPress are simple and will not make you look expensive, as you want probably. The custom design will make it easy for your clients and visitors to ask questions and help them get familiar with what you offer.

6. Myths - WordPress will help you in the SEO proces, thanks to the HTML5 responsive design.

Now we are talking. What's better than a WordPress theme with HTML5 responsive design?

hzwr.png

There are a lot of sites offering you premium themes with already integrated responsive design on the Internet. And that's becoming a standard. Many industries loot at making it easy for mobile users and Google encourages this. And why not? More and more people browsing sites via their smartphones. It is not secret to everyone, that thanks to mobile versions and responsive designs, your site could be pushed in SEPRs of the search engines.

In 2012 WordPress comes with a responsive theme, starting a new trend. Themes that could have different sizes depending on the browser. So, YES, WordPress giving you the chance to have such a site and attract more mobile users. Another point, you should count as a benefit f this CMS.

7. Is WordPress the right solution for my business or personal needs?

Definitely, it is. But you should know, that no matter what platform you will choose as a CMS, but keep this in your mind - you should program, design, code everything from the beginning, if you want something custom. Not to mention, that It will cots a fortune.

For individual bloggers and businesses, WordPress is a great solution. Why should not be the same for you? You have full administration, back-end, front-end, functionalities, and whatever you need. Of curse, if you need something that I it specially for your business - you need to program it, or loot at the WordPress and see is it already built up and on a market (paid widget / plugin). For some reasons, you can not use it as a shopping store (e-commerce CMSs), the way you use specialized CMS like OpenCart, ZenCart, Magento, osCommerce, PrestaShop and etc., but WP eCommerce is getting in this direction and soon I think will be a great solution there.

Before you choose a CMS, ask yourself these 5 questions:

• What do you want to be your site?
  • Do you want to sell product or service online?
  • How do you want to present your products / services to the world?
  • What is your target market and how will you reach it?
  • How much visits you are planning to have on your site per month?

Hope you like the article, as I have red it before and just use the things that will really attract your attention. You can comment it. Also, please give us a clue which big brand are using WordPress.

Последно редактирано:

Горе